Alternate nostril breathing is balancing for the nervous system and promotes GABA release.
Benefits after 4 to 5 minutes: lowers cortisol levels, relaxes the body, enhances mental functioning, soothes nervous system, enhances sleep quality, cleanses lungs, higher levels of GABA and improved mood.
- Sit in a relaxed position.
- Close one nostril with index finger of one hand.
- Exhale fully and inhale extending lower stomach outward.
- Switch nostrils with same finger and exhale from lower stomach.
- Inhale a deep breath into your lower stomach.
- Switch nostrils after the inhale breath with the same finger and exhale fully.
- Inhale and repeat, always switching nostrils after the inhale breath.
- Repeat for 4-5 minutes.